Ah, Labor Day weekend….the unofficial end to summer in the United States. All I can say is “So Long, Summer ’17” because I have been long awaiting Fall. I am already planning a few upcoming Fall posts but for now, let’s just savor every little bit of summer that’s left while it’s still here. And it’s definitely making its’ presence know with temperatures expected over 100 degrees today! I will admit to feeling a little bit guilty about posting pretty pictures while many in Texas are dealing with tragedy and the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey. But hopefully, Reviving Charm can serve as a happy distraction to those who need it.
My advice in yesterday’s post was to work less and play more. I took my own advice this weekend and tackled an art project for our seaside guest bedroom. I bought this frame from Goodwill about a year ago with the intention of giving it a new life. The frame measures approximately 4 inches by 7 inches. It was $3.99 plus it was coincidentally green tag day so I scored it for half off. For two bucks I really had nothing to lose. Heck, I can’t even buy a cup of coffee for that price. My plan was to paint the frame and make a new piece of artwork for it. This weekend seemed like the perfect time to tackle this fun, easy little project. Fun and productive all at the same time…I love it!
The first thing I started with was the actual piece of artwork. I was trying to capture the blue and greens already in the room. I knew I wanted something simple and abstract since the rest of the room is fairly traditional in nature. I wanted a piece that didn’t look too serious. I did a simple wash of watercolors and called it good. Next up was painting the frame. I used two different colors of chalk paint. I used a dry brush technique as the top coat. I went back and added a subtle wash of gold in certain areas using my favorite “pot of gold”. If you want to learn how to use chalk paint or learn about my favorite pot of gold, check out this post.
Here is what I thought would be the finished piece. I like the artwork and the frame with its new antique look. I didn’t like the stark white look of the exposed watercolor paper. I hung it on the wall and it just didn’t feel right…something was missing.
Then it dawned on me…a matt would have been nice. It would help make this piece fit into the room so much nicer. I decided to make my own matt from a piece of linen from my fabric stash. I turned out that this is just what the little painting needed.
So there you have it…my little weekend art project completed. I was able to spend a bit of free time doing something fun and creative while checking off a project from the “to do” list. I couldn’t be happier…